Piepie comes home from school starving! It’s always so close to dinner time that I hate having her snack on too much but making her wait an hour and a half or two for dinner to be ready is just unfair and mean. I’m always trying to think of healthier fun snacks (other than quick grabs like fishies or crackers). Today’s little sweet potato bits dusted with cinnamon & sugar were a hit.
what you need:
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil (I use grape seed oil)
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar (I used organic cane sugar)
what to do:
- Wash sweet potato well. I left the skin on so I made sure to really scrub the outside!
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut into small little cubes (mine were about 1 cm x 1cm).
- In a large bowl, toss together cubed sweet potatoes, oil and salt.
- Bake in the middle rack for about 5 – 8 minutes (I used convection so it was faster) – then use a wooden spoon to move them around / flip them so that all sides get browned.
- Bake for another 5 – 8 minutes, until golden brown on the outsides and tender.
- Remove sheet from oven and brush hot sweet potato bits with melted butter, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture. Fold up the parchment paper at all corners to lightly toss.
- Spread them back out into one layer on the sheet to cool with their new cinnamon and sugar coat. It’s important not to pile them onto a plate / bowl when warm or it will become soggy and you lose the sugar crunch.
- Serve and enjoy!