This is becoming my favourite breakfast! Super quick and easy, packed with nutrients and hearty enough to get you through your morning but not so heavy it makes you tired. It’s also a fun one for your kids because they get to scoop and dip their crispy egg quesadilla into creamy avocado goodness. Yum!
prep: 5 min cook: 3 min yield: 2
what you need:
- 2 egg
- 2 small whole wheat or corn tortillas
- 1 avocado
- 1 small tomato
- 1 tbsp chopped up green onion
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper
- butter for cooking
what to do:
- Cut avocado, remove pit, and scoop out flesh and roughly mash in a bowl. Wash and dice up tomato, add it to avocado and mix gently. Add green onions, lemon juice and a small dash of salt and pepper and mix. Set aside.
- In a non-stick pan on medium heat, melt about 1/2 tsp butter. Crack an egg into it, and roughly break yolk with spatula to quicken the cooking process. Sprinkle a tiny bit of salt and pepper on the egg.
- Place 1 tortilla flat on top of the egg. Once you can get under the egg with the spatula easily (or, it wiggles in the pan if you hold the handle and shake it a bit) – go ahead and flip it over. The egg should be now on top of your tortilla. Cook for another minute or so, to crisp up the tortilla.
- Fold the tortilla over three times and flatten with spatula to keep it’s shape. Transfer to plate, and serve with a big scoop of avocado on the side. Repeat sets 1 – 4 for another serving. Enjoy!
Do you ever have those crazy busy days where you forget to eat breakfast, then leave your house and realize you’re starving…but you haven’t had a chance to pack a snack or lunch? Today is one of those go go go days and I know I better eat a good breakfast or I’ll be starving by 10am and then when I finish yoga class at 11am I’ll be even more desperately hungry that I’ll end up purchasing a carbohydrate-dense processed food item at the coffee shop (why can’t they serve better options?) that I’ll regret immediately after consuming. This is why breakfast is so important! It starts and fuels our day – so making sure I eat a good hearty breakfast (and feed the kids one too!) is a priority in the morning. Besides, when you’re up at 6am with the kids (loving the sunshine but not so much the early wake up calls!) – you definitely have time to make a good meal for yourself.
This omelette is really easy! Deliciously rich, nutritious and very fulfilling. Three ingredients and you’re good to go! I used 2 eggs because I cut the omelette in half to share with my husband. Sometimes I’ll use 3 eggs because our toddler will eat some too (but today pie pie asked for peas and corn for breakfast…couldn’t convince her otherwise and she ate an entire bowl of it…some battles aren’t worth fighting!).
what you need:
- 2 eggs
- 1 small avocado (ripe)
- 1/2 cup cooked spinach (I usually keep some steamed spinach in tupperware in my fridge, for smoothies & this kind of thing…buying frozen spinach is a good way to go for these things!)
- cooking oil (I used grape seed oil)
- salt & pepper
what to do:
- Crack eggs into a medium bowl and beat lightly. Slice avocado in half, remove pit, score into cubes and scoop out with a large spoon, into the eggs. Add spinach and gently use a fork to mix everything. Season lightly with salt & pepper.
- In a nonstick pan on medium heat, add 1 tsp oil. Once your pan is warm, add egg mixture. Turn heat down just under medium, to avoid over-browning or burning your eggs. Once the sides look slightly firmer, use a spatula to fold over the edge, then fold over again (you end up folding it over twice). Flip completely and then cover the pan with a lid to fully cook the inside of the omelette, about 3-5 more minutes (checking once or twice to flip again).
- Remove from lid and press gently with the spatula – it is cooked when there is no “eggy” liquid escaping from the centre of your omelette. Remove from heat and serve immediately. Enjoy!