Remember my post about having lots and lots of carrots…well this is another great way to use them! I am pretty sure this is going to become a summer staple in our household. We had it alongside BBQ ribs and chicken at the cottage over the long weekend. It’s a fresh and light bite against the smokey meat.
And it’s easy for the kids to eat because it’s not too hard to chew and the apples provide an inviting sweetness. Be sure to make lots of extra vinaigrette so that you can keep it available in your fridge for other salads!
prep time: 15 min yield: serves 6
what you need:
- 4 large carrots
- 2 apples (firmer variety, like gala)
- 1 green onion
- 1 small handful cilantro *optional
apple cider vinaigrette (we like it pretty tangy – if you think it’s too acidic, add 1 tsp of oil at a time to adjust):
- 1/2 cup grape seed oil (or light tasting oil)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- pinch of salt and pepper
- squeeze of lemon *optional
what to do:
- Mix vinaigrette ingredients together in a mason jar and shake well.
- Wash and peel carrots and apples. (I left the skin on the apples)
- Grate carrots and apples.
- Wash green onion and cilantro, chop finely.
- In a large bowl, toss together carrots, apples, green onions and cilantro. Dress lightly and toss to coat everything. Taste, and add more dressing if needed. Rest for 10 minutes or so before serving. Enjoy!