Some days, a light and bright breakfast just makes you feel good. In the winter when pomegranates and mango are “in season” (obviously not ever in season in Canada…part of me feels guilty when I don’t buy local but we can’t just eat only apples all winter!) I like to enjoy it with yogurt and granola or muesli. I started buying plain yogurt exclusively (greek and regular) because there really is a lot of sugar in fruit yogurts. For me, the mangoes sweeten up the plain yogurt enough that I don’t need to use honey or maple syrup, but I do drizzle a bit on for piepie and the boss (and my husband!) because a small amount of that sweetness helps with the sourness of plain yogurt!
So here is the simple recipe for the muesli part – the sweet mango and crunchy tart pomegranate are our faves but you can use whatever fruits and yogurt are your favourites. Ground flax seeds, hemp hearts, and/or chia seeds are also great additions to sprinkle on.
prep: 5 min bake: 8 min yield: 2 1/2 cups
what you need:
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
what to do:
- Preheat oven to 350 F (325 F if convection).
- Melt coconut oil in a small sauce pan, then turn off heat and add cinnamon, stirring.
- Spread rolled oats onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Pumpkin seeds are usually already toasted – but if you don’t have pumpkin seeds and you are substituting for a seed that you have bought raw – go ahead and spread it on top of the rolled oats.
- Drizzle coconut & cinnamon oil on top of rolled oats – bake for about 8-10 minutes, until you can smell the cinnamon and the oats are lightly golden brown.
- Remove from oven and add pumpkin seeds.
- Once it has cooled – transfer to mason jar for storage. Enjoy!