Slow cooker meals are awesome. All you have to do is a little bit of prep at the beginning of the day, then leave it on as you go about your business, then when you get home at the end of a busy day your house smells amazing and dinner is ready! The slow cooker is definitely worth purchasing if you don’t have one already.
This recipe is inspired by spices that are commonly found in moroccan tangines (those beautiful pottery vessels that hold stews, baked for hours in the oven). Moroccan cuisine is flavourful with spices without being spicy. The chicken just falls off the bone and melts in your mouth, perfect for baby. You could use all chicken breast, but the bones in the thighs are great for making the broth and dark meat has more iron content and is softer and more flavourful, again perfect for baby. The lentils are nutritious and packed with flavour, because it absorbs all the spiced chicken broth you’ve created. Serve this dish up with some greens and you’ve got a complete meal.
prep: 15 min cook: 6 hours yield: 4
what you need:
- 2 chicken breasts (bone in)
- 2 chicken thighs (bone in)
- 1 small cooking onion
- 3-5 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
what to do:
- Remove skin from chicken if desired. Leave the bone in (bones have lots of flavour!). Place at the bottom of your crock pot.
- Roughly chop onion and smash garlic. Place on top of chicken.
- Measure out spices and sprinkle them over top of the chicken. Then cover everything with 2-3 cups of cold water, just enough so that the meat is under the water. Give it a gentle stir, then turn it on low (mine has two settings, I and II) for 6 hours.
- About 20-30 minutes before serving, add the lentils. They will cook quickly and soak up the broth you’ve created with the chicken and spices.
- Serve with desired vegetables and enjoy! We had ours with garlic sautéed dandelion greens.