This is so easy to make and has great blueberry flavour. Adding cinnamon gives it a pie feel and of course will be enjoyed even more by your baby! Cooking the apples helps to intensify their flavour and will give it a longer shelf life (in your fridge of course). It smelled so good even sweetie pie pie (my toddler) had some! Usually she is very adamant that the mushy stuff is for “babies only…I’m a BIG girl”…but this time I guess she made an exception:)
what you need:
prep: 5 min cook: 15 min yield: about 5 small mason jars
- 2 small granny smith apples
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp water
what to do:
- Wash apples thoroughly and peel if desired. Since I bought organic apples this time, I kept the peels on.
- Remove apple cores and cut into bite size chunks, then place in a small pot with water and cinnamon and cook on medium, for about 5 minutes. Turn it down to medium low for another 5-10 minutes, just until apples are fork tender.
- Mix apples with frozen blueberries (which will bring cool them down fast) – and blend into a smooth puree or just pulse a little for a chunkier texture. Because I left my apple skins on, I went for a smoother puree. The mixture may seem a little liquidy but it will firm up (almost like a jam) after it is completely cooled and refrigerated.
- Store in mason jars in the fridge, or freeze for future use.